Death Toll From Bronx Legionnaires’ Outbreak Rises To 7

The South Bronx Legionnaires’ disease outbreak has now taken the lives of seven people, officials said Monday. The total number of deaths was up from four reported as of late last week. The additional deaths were reported on Sunday to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. All of those who died were older adults with underlying medical problems, the department said. The total number of people infected by Legionnaires’ in the South Bronx has risen to 81, and the number hospitalized has risen to 64. A total of 28 of those 64 patients have been discharged. Most of the cases have been reported in Highbridge, Morrisania, Hunts Point and Mott Haven, officials said. City health officials said of the 22 buildings tested in the outbreak area, cooling towers at five buildings tested positive for the bacteria Legionella: Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, the Concourse Plaza Mall, the Opera House Hotel, a Verizon office building, and the Streamline Plastic Co.

Article here